In My Grandpa’s Garden: FREE Printable Song Adaptation

July 19, 2010

Post image for In My Grandpa’s Garden: FREE Printable Song Adaptation

It is summer harvest season here in our small Texas town. We are lucky enough to live close to our parents who plant a splendid and delicious garden every year. There is nothing like the rich flavor of a tomato or the crunch of a cucumber picked from “My Grandpa’s Garden.” Come along with us as we put on our rubber boots and sing a song adaptation to the tune of “This is the Way We Go to School.”

In My Grandpa’s Garden

(This is the Way We Go to School Song Adaptation)

I can pull the green cucumber, green cucumber, green cucumber,

I can pull the green cucumber in my grandpa’s garden.

I can pick some cherry tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, cherry tomatoes,

I can pick some cherry tomatoes in my grandpa’s garden.

I can ride the John Deer tractor, John Deer tractor, John Deer tractor,

I can ride the John Deer tractor in my grandpa’s garden.

I can wear my rubber boots, rubber boots, rubber boots,

I can wear my rubber boots in my grandpa’s garden.

I can shake dirt off the radishes, off the radishes, off the radishes,

I can shake dirt off the radishes in my grandpa’s garden.

I can see the tall swiss chard, tall swiss chard, tall swiss chard,

I can see the tall swiss chard in my grandpa’s garden.

I can spot the yellow sunflower, yellow sunflower, yellow sunflower,

I can spot the yellow sunflower in my grandpa’s garden.

Shh, I can hear the ears of corn, ears of corn, ears of corn,

I can hear the ears of corn in my grandpa’s garden.

We had so much fun today, fun today, fun today,

We had so much fun today in our grandpa’s garden.

(Okay, okay it’s really our “grandparent’s garden” but sometimes you have to take a little creative license. Grandpa’s garden just sounded cute! But don’t you worry we know it’s Grandma’s garden too!)

Print this song: In My Grandpa’s Garden

Sorry, this is the way our brains work. We have endless song adaptations running through our minds. We can make-up a song about almost anything. Our poor children hear our songs all day long. And yes, they think we are crazy. Lucky for us, little kids think crazy is fun!

What is your favorite song adaptation to the tune of: This is the Way We Go to School?

Life with Joyce and Jeannine and MacGyver and Miss Enigma and Grandma and Grandpa

If you like getting your hands dirty we have another post for you this week: We’re making homemade Moon Sand!

We’re playing and linking-up around the world at Childhood 101: We Play

We’re container gardening with children “at home.”

Jackie July 19, 2010 at 8:37 pm

Oh my goodness! We get all of our produce out of grandpa’s garden. Usually he picks it, cleans it, and delivers it to our front door! Can’t get any better than that! But Logan loves to help him out in the garden! I can’t wait to print this for him!

Marita July 19, 2010 at 9:49 pm

Aw that is a gorgeous song and the pictures are fabulous, the children look like they are having so much fun.

My girls love musicals and will often spend their time singing along about what they are doing, it is so much fun to listen to.

Belinda July 19, 2010 at 11:54 pm

Beautiful photos of a lovely garden. What a fabulous place to live and learn (and sing!)

Colleen - Sunrise Learning Lab July 20, 2010 at 4:42 am

Very cool! Thanks for sharing! I was not aware of this song, but look forward to sharing it with my sons.
Love your blog!
Colleen:)

Little Wonders' Days July 20, 2010 at 6:30 am

The garden looks wonderful. My Grandpa’s garden was one of my favorite places to be when I was little!

Lori @ RRSAHM July 20, 2010 at 7:23 am

How clever!! And that garden just looks lush, I love it.

Mom and Kiddo July 20, 2010 at 11:08 am

Looks like fun! Sadly, we can’t ride a tractor in our community garden plot. :)

amandab July 20, 2010 at 5:59 pm

There is nothing better than making up a song about the things we love! And what a fabulous garden :) It’s exactly how I want mine to look, once it stops being a mudslide …

Becky July 20, 2010 at 11:47 pm

Love the song and the photos to go with it. What a lovely garden, I remember spending lots of time with my Grandpa in his garden – it wasn’t nearly as big as this, but I still have lots of beautiful memories.

Elizabeth VP July 21, 2010 at 10:46 pm

This website is awesome! Great job ladies. I love the ideas and the creativity. I will pass this along.

Anne July 22, 2010 at 11:53 pm

We sing lots of versions of This is the way we… get ready for bed, make our breakfast, mow the lawn, etc. Singing makes anything more fun!

Catherine July 23, 2010 at 12:40 am

Lovely pictures. This is just like my kids in Grandma’s garden – we can’t stop by(she lives just around the corner) at the moment without checking for vegies that are ready to pick.

Christie - Childhood 101 July 26, 2010 at 4:09 am

Gorgeous photos and a very clever song adaptation, I am sure both grandpa and the children enjoy sharing it together :)

daddy April 9, 2012 at 5:41 pm

I was planting all morning. Need some rain.

grandpa