Creating a Frog Habitat: catch and release adventures

October 26, 2010

Post image for Creating a Frog Habitat: catch and release adventures

Aunt Jennifer, my sister, calls to let the kiddos know she has a yard full of baby frogs. So they grab a bucket and we head on over to Aunt Jennifer’s house. MacGyver and Miss Enigma must have brought home 30 plus baby frogs. I stopped counting!

What do 30 baby frogs need? A habitat of course. Let’s see they need a pond, water, rocks and a place to climb.

Let me help you little guy. Hope you enjoy your new home.

I think they like it. Wait something is missing . . .

That’s much better.

Now, I think they really like it!

Release day has arrived.

Bye, Bye, I’ll miss you!

Where’s Waldo? The children observe that the frogs are camouflaged in their natural habitat.

Another successful catch and release adventure!

We’re GIVING AWAY two great frog books this week: Frogs by Nic Bishop and See How They Grow: Frog by DK

Deb October 26, 2010 at 11:04 am

Those frogs are seriously cute.

Joy October 26, 2010 at 11:14 am

Cute frogs!! My children love to catch small insects/frogs and make a habitat also. Thanks for sharing! Stopping by from the Hip Homeschool Hop!

Jane October 26, 2010 at 11:56 am

So fun! Now I want some frogs to play with too. :-)

Jackie October 26, 2010 at 2:29 pm

What a great way to get them thinking about what a frog would need in it’s habitat. You guys have too much fun :)

Anne October 26, 2010 at 3:46 pm

What a cool looking habitat! Hope they hang around your yard so you can continue to see them grow up!

Catherine October 26, 2010 at 5:09 pm

We love frogs! They are everywhere here in N Aust at the moment too because it has started to rain. I’m hoping to get some tadpoles for the boys to watch this year.

Colleen - Sunrise Learning Lab October 27, 2010 at 8:12 pm

How fun!
We have a froggy that my sons have named Jumpy who will be staying for us for a short while. Our dog kept getting a hold of the frogs in our yard and was getting very sick from licking them or trying to eat them. Since some are poisonous to dogs like the one we have for the time being, we are going to keep the frog until he is bigger and would be safer to release at a nearby pond.
Love the habitat you made for your frogs.
thank you for sharing the cool photos.
Colleen:)

amandab October 29, 2010 at 5:23 am

That’s just lovely! A lovely story, lovely photos, lovely fun :)

Christie - Childhood 101 November 1, 2010 at 8:49 am

Wow, what a great experience, I don’t think I have ever come across 30 tiny frogs before! Creating a habitat is such a fabulous learning tool.