The Snowy Day: Art by Children

January 10, 2011

Post image for The Snowy Day: Art by Children

Miss Trisha’s snowy day art adventures began with reading aloud The Snowy Day by Ezra Jack Keats. Such a simple, sweet and delightful story about a young boy’s tranquil day in the snow. For those of us in South Texas, we don’t really grow-up knowing what the crunch of snow sounds like. That’s why we need wonderful teachers like Miss Trisha.

Snowy Day Art Supplies

• Epsom salt
  • blue paper
  • outline of Peter in his coat
  • red markers, paint or crayons
  • scissors
  • glue
  • white crayons

Step One – Vocabulary Enrichment: Again, since our children are not familiar with snowy days and the crunch of the snow, Miss Trisha introduced a large tub of Epsom salt.  The children took turns making crunching sounds in the mock snow.

Step Two – Character Development: Each child colored Peter in his red coat. Look how different Peter looks in these works of art. Peter starts as a simple black outline, but this child added eyes and a mouth. You’ll also notice that Peter is not a perfect cut-out. Rather than Miss Trisha doing the cutting, the children each cut-out their own Peter. It doesn’t matter one bit that Peter is not cut-out perfectly!

Step Three – Setting Development: Each child selected a scene from Peter’s day in the snow to recreate.

Wow, what a fun day in the snow Peter had. And what an amazing display of Snowy Day Art!

Will you be blessed with a Snowy Day this winter? Our children in South Texas dream of just one Snowy Day!

We’re GIVING AWAY a winter theme study pack including another great snowy day book: Under My Hood I Have a Hat by Karla Kuskin

Tomorrow the children are mixing-up a batch of homemade cocoa mix. Yummy!

Sharing this week at:

Thematic Thursday

Andrea January 10, 2011 at 6:18 pm

fantastic idea! One of my favorite books:)
~Jada roo can do

katepickle January 10, 2011 at 10:37 pm

My kids don’t know about snow either…. but this art work is lovely!

Mom and Kiddo January 11, 2011 at 5:10 am

We’ve been having a bit of snow out here in New York and this is one of my favorite books. Thanks for sharing such a great project.

maggy, red ted art January 12, 2011 at 7:04 am

Oooh, what a lovely blog you have. Right up my street. Will certainly becoming back for more winter fun and all your fab looking books!

Thank you for stopping by at Red Ted Art and leaving me a comment. Lovely to “meet”!!

Maggy
(PS if you like link ups, I do one every wednesday! Here is the current one: http://www.redtedart.com/2011/01/12/kids-get-crafty-winter-trees/)

maryanne January 12, 2011 at 7:31 am

We are having a REAL snow day here today – businesses closed, and everything! This is a fantastic way to experience “snow” in Texas!

Jackie January 12, 2011 at 11:20 am

What a great project. We have plenty of snow but it is way. too. cold. to take a 2 yr old and 1 yr old outside. I think the high yesterday was 20 degrees and they said colder today. I think we’ll stay inside and make projects. I thought about bringing some snow inside in a big tub and watching it melt, though.

Robin January 12, 2011 at 4:39 pm

I hope we are blessed with a snowy day, just one for some winter fun.
We made the science snow and mixed white paint and cornstarch for some snowy day pictures.

SnoopyGirl January 13, 2011 at 9:15 am

I love a good book and a craft!

Janelle January 13, 2011 at 12:10 pm

Such vivid artwork! The snowy day is a favorite here as well. Few authors can capture the thrill of snow play like Ezra Jack Keats. Never thought much about the crunching sound snow makes…we get so much snow here that you kind of take it all for granted.

maryanne January 13, 2011 at 4:41 pm

Such beautiful artwork!

Christie-Childhood 101 January 17, 2011 at 3:13 am

What a beautiful display of artwork. It is funny, over Christmas there was so much talk of snow in various books we were reading whilst it was hot as hot on our side of the world. Immy is unlikely to experience snow unless we travel overseas which I can’t see happening anytime soon.

Diana January 24, 2012 at 1:13 pm

Great book! Great Art! Thanks for linking up to Thematic Thursday.

Maro's kindergarten January 15, 2013 at 3:34 pm

Hi! I’m stopping by to let you know that I loved your craft and I featured it on my Snowy Day unit round-up! Come by to see the post here: http://maros-kindergarten.blogspot.gr/2013/01/blog-post.html I would love your feedback!

Jeannine January 16, 2013 at 2:33 pm

What fun Maro, waddleeahchaa.com in Greek! Happy Snowy Days!