My Never Ending HGTV Episode is Out of Control

March 28, 2011

Post image for My Never Ending HGTV Episode is Out of Control

It’s a literal mad house around here! Right this VERY minute I’m deciding framed or unframed shower glass. Heck it’s only a $1000.00 difference! (Guess which one my Man of Steel picked.) Which will it be, quartz counter top or satin tempered glass counter top? The decision must be made right now to finish on time. My mind actually just froze because every few minutes my contractor pokes his head in with another detailed decision I must make. I’d share all of the decisions and action but then you’d be horrifically bored.

Tuesday, paint color went on the walls in the new addition. Hated it! Okay, hate is a strong word. But it wasn’t MY first choice and I was willing to live with it. Thursday paint color number two went on the walls. My first choice . . . Love it! Yes, all of those color samples are different and only one is the right one.

Thursday afternoon when I left the house, I had a wall separating the living room and kitchen.

When I returned at the end of the day . . . no wall! Sheetrock dust everywhere! Thick grit everywhere! New Sheetrock went up on Saturday. More thick grit everywhere! Tape and float today. I guess I’ve mopped at least 20 times in the last four days. I think, I remember someone once advising me to “Just ignore the mess.”

Saturday and Sunday we tackled our DIY concrete stained floor project. No, I’m not trying to win any fashion contests with that outfit.

Hold please, my contractor is knocking on the back door . . .

I’m back. Had to make new decisions about the height of the shower glass. Gosh, I thought these guys quit at 5:00 pm!

I’m exhausted. My head is spinning and it’s time to figure out what in the world we’ll have for dinner tonight. (GREEN Pasta anyone?) How about we call it a day?!

We’ll be back tomorrow¬† with kindergarten journal writing and a BOOK GIVEAWAY. Maybe I’ll be able to compose my thoughts tomorrow. Maybe.

We bought a little home built in 1952, on a big lot, in a great neighborhood: Follow our never ending HGTV episode!

Merelyn March 28, 2011 at 9:31 pm

It looks amazing without the wall! I can’t wait to see it finished (and I bet you can’t either!!)

Deb March 29, 2011 at 9:53 am

So, which paint did you pick? And for the bathroom counter?

Can’t wait to see the Afters!

Jeannine March 29, 2011 at 5:30 pm

The counter top is a thorn in my side at the moment. It will take a post all of its own!
The color is Mineral Deposit by Sherwin Williams. It is a gorgeous gray and it will go beautiful with our new walnut colored bed.
I can’t wait to sleep in that room!

Allison August 15, 2012 at 10:12 pm

What color stain did you use for the concrete? Do you still like it?
Thanks!

Jeannine August 25, 2012 at 8:46 am

Hi Allison! We used Kemiko Stain Color Black: Tortoise shell black with brown marbling. It is gorgeous and everyone comments on how great it looks. Many people have asked us for the color. Here is a link to the website and color. Good luck. Staining the floor is one of the easiest D.I.Y. projects we have tackled.

Kemiko Stain Color Black

danielle February 6, 2013 at 11:09 am

I stumbled upon your site…planning on staining concrete floors. What were the steps/additional products you used with the kemiko stain?

1. Prep – did you follow their instructions & use their cleaner?
2. Two coats stain?
3. What product did you use to coat it – their wax? And how did you apply did you need to rent a machine?

Thanks!!

Jeannine February 12, 2013 at 4:53 pm

1. Our slab was new. We were instructed to mop with a mild soap.

2. We only put on one coat of stain with a garden sprayer. The stain looks rusty until you seal. It is hard to imagine how it will turn-out.

3. I’ll have to look up the sealer, but it was from Kemiko. It was thick and had strong fumes! We used a mop to put on the sealer. Ask Kemiko for the type they recommend. I know we bought one at Loews.

4. We waxed with Kemiko Easy Shine. We used a sponge mop.

We didn’t use any special machines to apply or buff.

We’ve done MANY DIY projects and this was one of the easiest! The floors turned out amazing. We get tons of compliments. It is a weekend project.

Good Luck!

Nina April 2, 2013 at 11:30 pm

We are in the process of purchasing a short sale and the first thing I want to do it rip up the hold ugly, poorly laid, cheep laminate and stain the concrete underneath. Does it matter if the concrete is old? I keep hearing conflicting stories. That they concrete has to be new and if the concrete is old you have to sand it first. Help!

Jeannine April 3, 2013 at 7:32 am

Our slab was new. However, my sister pulled up laminate tiles. You have to be sure to clean all of the adhesive off of the floor. Her floor turned out gorgeous and has lasted at least ten year. Look for a kemiko dealer in your area. The folks in our area were very helpful with directions. Good luck!

Nina April 7, 2013 at 11:56 pm

Thank you!!!

Our plans with buying the short sale might have fallen through or might just take longer. . . we shall see if!

Thanks again!