Book of the Week GIVEAWAY: Just One Quiet Pine Tree by Chris Butterworth
Why we love this book:
In honor of April as Earth Month and Arbor Day this Friday, we’re celebrating our earth. Something we actually like to do all year long. Just One Quiet Pine Tree is a ” Nature Map Book” that unfolds to highlight how different animals use the tree from the tip-top branches all the way down to its roots.
“Just one quiet pine tree, that’s what you can see. But come closer . . .” Each page of this small square book unfolds into a large diamond illustration made of collage and paint, showing the importance of each part of the tree from providing shelter to food. Children are immediately thrilled with the surprise of the unfolding pages and the hidden animals.
Earth Month Projects
Ms. Trisha’s Preschool Class
Project: Earth Collage
- book – The Earth Is Good by Michael De Munn
- paper plate or circle card stock
- markers: greens, blues and browns
- construction paper scraps: greens, blues and browns
- sentence strips
- Read aloud The Earth Is Good with the repetitive chant, “The earth is good. The trees are good. The mouse, the worm, the soil are good. . . .”
- Talk about the colors of the earth: greens, blues and browns
- Collage earth
- Let each child complete their own sentence about the earth . . .
Pups are good.
I am good.
Project: Earth Suncathers
- crayon shavings: greens, blues and browns
- wax paper
- round lid for tracing (these are about 4 inches in diameter)
- hole punch
- scatter crayon shavings on wax paper
- cover with another sheet of wax paper
- iron until melted and let cool
- trace lid and cut out earth
- punch hole and tie with ribbon
- hang in a sunny window
Project: Arbor Day Trees
- Book: Just One Quiet Pine Tree by Chris Butterworth
- brown paper bags and green paper
- Read aloud Just One Quiet Pine Tree
- brainstorm animals that live-in and use trees
- cut tree trunks and branches from brown paper bags, cut-out green tree tops and leaves, glue together to create a tree
- draw animals in the trees
Snakes need trees.
Bugs and birds and squirrels need trees.
En Plein Air Painting: Step-by-step directions for how to draw a tree. (preschool – grade 3)
Print the FREE Song: The Green Grass Grew All Around and Around
Book: Tweedle Dee Dee by Charlotte Voake
En Plein Air Collage Art: Step by step directions for creating a backyard collage. (preschool – grade 2)
Book: Peek! A Thai Hide-and-Seek by Minfong Ho
We’re GIVING AWAY one hardcover copy of Just One Quiet Pine Tree by Chris Butterworth.
To enter this contest, just answer the following question in the comments section of this post.
How do you and your children celebrate the earth all year long? (Or just say “Hey.” We’re flexible around here.)
One entry per person, please.
No entries after 8:00 pm Central Time, Thursday, April 26, 2012
The winner must be a resident of The United States.
The winner will be selected at random and announced Friday, April 27, 2012. Check back to claim your prize. It might be you!
Sharing this week at: