Christmas Toy Review and GIVEAWAY of the Week: Rory’s Story Cubes
Rory’s Story Cubes include 9 cubes with simple pictures on each side. The picture cubes act as story starters. The slogan for the game says it all, “Story Cubes let your imagination roll wild!”
I love the flexibility of this game. You can pretty much make up your own rules.
When I first introduced the game to my kiddos, ages 8 and 5, I tried to keep it simple!
- Each person gets 3 cubes (we just divide the cubes equally among the players)
- The first player creates a title for the story. The title becomes the theme of our story.
- The game moves from player to player.
- Each turn the player rolls a cube and uses the picture starter to add onto the story.
- As each player adds to the story, we place the cubes in a line making it easy to follow the story.
- The game continues until all 9 cubes have been used.
Miss Enigma, age 6, has a vivid imagination! This game certainly allows her imagination to run wild. We never know what twists our story will take with her cheeky personality.
MacGyver, age 9, is all science and facts! Story telling is not his strength; however, this simple game has really freed his imagination. The picture cues give his creative expression a jump-start.
Stand back, I’m going to brag! We’ve actually come up with some pretty darn creative stories. Sometimes the stories are so good we have to add chapters. Look out Harry Potter!
10 Reasons we love Story Cubes
- Sparks creative expression.
- Develops literacy skills: story telling, vocabulary, language, speaking, listening and problem solving.
- Journal writing jump-start.
- Gender neutral.
- Wide age range. Recommended age is 8 -12; however, Miss Enigma could easily play at age 5 and this is certainly a game adults can enjoy!
- Simple and Flexible rules.
- Can be played alone or in a group.
- Promotes cooperation and teamwork.
- Family game night. The flexible rules and age range make it perfect for family game night. If you have a silly one in the group things can really get fun!
- Small, travel size. Fun game to take on family vacation!
We’re GIVING AWAY one set of Rory’s Story Cubes
To enter this contest, use the Rafflecopter to answer the following question. After you leave a comment, you can move ahead with more entries.
What is your favorite family game night game? (Or just say “Hey.” We’re flexible around here.)
The winner must be a resident of The United States.
Book of the Week Book GIVEAWAY: Usborne Sticker Dressing Around the World
More Educational Toy Recommendations: Browse through our Educational Toys Category