Week at a glance . . .
- Book of the Week GIVEAWAY: COUNT by Dwell Studio
- Art explorations: Winter Lace Collage with Birds
- Book making: I See Birds
- FREE printable book: Birds Up In a Tree
- FREE printable bird counters
I don’t have much free time to peruse the thumbnails at pinterest. But occasionally one jumps right out at me and sparks a little inspiration. When I stumbled upon a piece of artwork featuring a beautifully simple winter lace collage scene with a little bird, I knew I had just the book . . .
Book of the Week GIVEAWAY: COUNT by Swell Studio
Why we love this book:
At heart I am a simple person. The older I get the more I appreciate the simple things in life. The simplicity of the little book COUNT immediately tugged at my simple nature. I adore the little birds sitting up in the tree on each page. The repetitive text is a familiar pattern, “Blue bird, blue bird what do you see?” The book highlights both cardinal numbers and the corresponding number words. Don’t let these simple books scare you away. They are ideal for beginning readers and help build a core of easy, familiar words.
Winter Lace Collage Art
- Books COUNT by Dwell Studios and Snowballs by Lois Ehlert
- white cardstock
- assorted colored paper and tissue paper
- markers (we used sharpies)
- lace or tulle
We couldn’t find lace fabric that we liked. The children helped me pick a roll of tulle with glittery dots like snow. The roll cost me $2.00 and the leftovers will make lovely gift bows.
Step 1: Collage Winter Background
- The kiddos used white cardstock as a sturdy snow background.
- Then they cut snow drifts into their sky backdrop.
Step 2: Draw a Simple Line Tree
- Both children added little birdseed feeders for their birds.
- How did these kids get so darn thoughtful? You’ll let a Mommy have a moment, won’t you?
Step 3: Draw, Cut and Collage Birds
- Miss Engima, age 6, chose to make many colorful little birds.
- Tweet, tweet, tweet! Cute, cute, cute!
- MacGyver, age 9, chose a different path and collaged one colorful bird.
- The book Snowballs by Lois Ehlert was one of his inspirations.
- Our bird mats from IKEA were another inspiration.
- Yes, it’s your weekly IKEA recommendation. Sorry, they have fun, quirky stuff!
Winter Lace Collage, Miss Enigma, age 6
Winter Lace Collage, MacGyver, age 9
Step 4: Glue Birds into Tree
Step 5: Glue Lace Snow onto Scene
Miss Enigma’s Winter Collage Art is already framed and proudly on display on her art shelf.
Math, Reading and Writing Extensions
- Just by luck, I ran across these FREE printable birds at small things blog
- In vain, I have been searching for birds and couldn’t find what I was looking for. Yeah to lucky timing!
- First, Miss Enigma has a little practice run on her dry erase board.
- She is making a bird counting book inspired by the book COUNT.
- Miss Enigma loooooooves cutting! She is cutting out her little birds for her book.
FREE printable book: Birds Up In a TREE
Life with Jeannine
We’re GIVING AWAY one board book copy of COUNT by Dwell Studio
To enter this contest, use the Rafflecopter to answer the following question. After you leave a comment, you can move ahead with more entries.
To enter this contest, just answer the following question in the comments section of this post.
What is one of your simple pleasures? (Or just say “Hey.” We’re flexible around here.)
One entry per person, please.
No entries after 8:00 pm Central Time, Thursday, January 24, 2013
The winner must be a resident of The United States.
Sharing this week at: