Week at a Glance
- Book of the Week GIVEAWAY: Big George by Anne Rockwell
- 4th of July Activities for Kids
- American History FREE printables
- American Patriotic Songs
- 4th of July Cupcakes and Treats
- Recommended Books List
Book of the Week GIVEAWAY: Big George by Anne Rockwell
Why we love this book:
This past school year we did a great big study on The Discovery of America and The American Revolution. By far the kiddos favorite book on this time period in American History was Big George. We’ve checked-out this book about George Washington over and over again from our local library. Anne Rockwell’s narrative about our first president is an outstanding introduction to The American Revolution. Washington is not portrayed as a perfect man but rather as a shy boy who grew up to lead an army and nation to freedom. Illustrator Matt Phelan’s amazing pastel drawings bring the drama of Washington’s early days to life right on the pages of the book. Our family absolutely loves this book! We are once again reading Big George in preparation for our celebration of July 4th! This book can easily span many age groups.
4th of July Activities and FREE printables for Kids
- I like that my children have become so interested in the history of The United States. Yep, they know that the 4th of July is more than picnics and fireworks. (But believe me we like those too!)
- I’m starting with the learning stuff and the crafts will come later in this post.
- FREE printable Flag from ColoringCastle.com
- This year the kiddos have been learning patriotic songs including The Star-Spangled Banner and America the Beautiful. It makes my heart smile to hear them belt out these beloved American tunes (the off-key singing just adds to the charm!).
- Link includes step-by-step directions and photos for the lesson.
5. Care Packages for the Troops!
- What better way to celebrate our Independence than showing our troops that we appreciate them!
- The kiddos made Patriotic cards and we are collecting requesting supplies.
- Beef Jerky * Cameras (disposable) * Camper style foods * Candy * CDs (Blank or Music) * Chapstick * Crackers (PNB, Cheese, etc.) * Dental floss * Dried Fruit * Facial Tissues * Fast food Condiment packets * Flashlights * Foot Powder (travel size) * Girl Scout * cookies * Gum * Hand Sanitizer (travel size) * Holiday Specific Greeting Cards * Moist Wipes * Nerf toys (very small footballs, etc.) * Nuts/Seeds * Odor Eaters (for boots) * Pencils/Pens * Personal messages * Phone cards * Playing cards * Powdered drink mix * Razors * Sardines * Sheets of stationery * Snacks (cookies, granola bars, etc.) * Tea Bags and Coffee Packets * Toiletries (travel sizes) * Toothbrushes * Toothpaste (travel size) * Trail Mix * Travel games * Travel mugs * Tuna snack kits * Vienna Sausages
- When we were doing our Ocean on Canvas paintings, MacGyver went off on a tangent. Shocking, I know!
- MacGyver invented Firework Painting.
- Miss Enigma and I thought the paintings were seriously cool!
- You too can duplicate his technique. After all he did invent it!
- This activity requires adult supervision.
- These would be so darn cute at a backyard 4th of July picnic!
10. Stars and Stripes Cupcakes made by my kiddos right here at waddleeahchaa.com!
- This is one of MacGyver’s favorite games.
- It is so much fun and he is really getting to know all 50 states!
- Look for the book as well.
- My kiddos love this series.
- They shout out when they recognize one of the Founding Fathers and other individuals important to the American Revolution.
14. Read about the American Revolution!
- We’ve read all of the above books. They come highly recommended by a 6, 10 and 40ish -year-old. In other word, they’re all good!
15. Read John Adams by David McCullough.
- This one is for the grown-ups in the room (and older kids).
- This is a looooong book. If you don’t have the time for a long read watch the mini series based on this book.
- This is not a book about “Heroes” but rather about real men and women and their flaws as well as their strengths.
- This book opened my eyes to the reality of life during the American Revolution and what individual families sacrificed.
- The relationship between John and Abagail Adams is heart warming.
- You also get a glimpse into John Adams and Thomas Jefferson’s friendship.
We’re GIVING AWAY one copy of Big George by Anne Rockwell
To enter this contest, use the Rafflecopter to answer the following question. After you leave a comment, you can move ahead with more entries.
Answer the following question in the comments section of this post.
What do you love most about America? (Or just say “Hey.” We’re flexible around here.)
No entries after 11:59 pm Central Time, Thursday, June 27, 2013
The winner must be a resident of The United States.
Sharing this week at: