Olive oil . . . honey . . . whole wheat . . . Sounds like ingredients for scrumptious muffins, right? Don’t let these totally healthy banana muffins scare you away because they are shockingly delicious. But shhhhh, don’t tell anyone! It never fails, when we serve our banana muffin bites to guests they gush, “These are really goooood!” Kids especially go wild for these. My little nephew must have eaten at least ten of these yummy little bites.
So grab your apron, heat your oven and join Miss Enigma and me in the kitchen. We usually bake the mini muffins for breakfast and then the kiddos snack on the leftovers after school. The muffins only take about 15 minutes to bake, making it easy to bake up a batch for an afterschool snack as well.
Apple Banana Mini Muffins
*2 ripe bananas *2 tbsp. olive oil *1/3 cup honey *1 tsp. vanilla *1 cup whole wheat pastry flour *½ tsp cinnamon *½ tsp baking soda *1 apple chopped *24 dark chocolate chips
Makes 24 mini muffins
Step 1: Mash bananas in a large bowl.
- Measure olive oil into glass measuring cup and swirl to coat.
- Pour the oil into the bowl with the mashed bananas.
- This will make the measuring cup “nonstick” for the honey.
- This will also make your tbsp “nonstick” when measuring batter later.
- Heat honey in microwave for 30 seconds to liquify.
- Pour honey into bowl with mashed banana.
Step 2: Stir together wet and dry ingredients.
- DO NOT add chocolate chips. I’ll explain latter.
Step 3: Cut apples into small pieces and mix into banana batter.
Step 4: Put 1 tbsp batter into each cupcake liner and add one chocolate chip to each muffin.
- We use dark chocolate chips. The highest percent Cacao I can find. Since the muffins are sweet, I’ve never had a child turn up his nose at the dark chocolate.
- We don’t mix the chocolate chips into the batter. That way we can tuck one little chip into each muffin.
- The kiddos like to use their finger to plant the chip down in the batter like a little tulip bulb.
- It melts up all yummy.
Quick Tip: Go ahead lick the batter . . . no eggs!
Step 5: Bake in 350° oven for 15 – 18 minutes.
Print this FREE recipe: Apple Banana Mini Muffins
Cheers to healthy cooking in 2014!
Do your kiddos like to mix it up in the kitchen?
Sharing this week at: