Week at a Glance:
- Books for Kids GIVEAWAY: I Love You When . . . by Annie Baker
- How to Make a Daddy & Me Journal
- FREE printable: Daddy & Me Journal introduction note
- I Love You When . . . Father’s Day Poem Template
Books for Kids GIVEAWAY: I Love You When . . . by Annie Baker
Why we love this book:
I’m just going to say it . . . this book is adorable. Sweet and simple. Bright and cheery. I’m not sure why, but this book says Daddy, Daddy, Daddy to me. While Big Bunny is not portrayed as Mommy or Daddy, from my first reading I envisioned Daddy and a Father’s Day Gift. (Technically the book is totally gender neutral and will fit into any family.)
Through lyrical rhyming text, Big Bunny assures his Little Bunny that he will always love him no matter where they are and what they are doing. As I read aloud, my kiddos immediately began trying to guess the rhyming text from page to page.
I love you when it’s warm and sunny. I love you when you’re being funny. . . .
I love you when we rush to and fro, and I love you when there’s nowhere to go. . . .
But mostly, I love you whenever I’m with you.
We used the simple template I love you when . . . to write a Father’s Day Poem for Daddy. It is one of the first entries in the kiddo’s Daddy and Me Journal.
Daddy & Me Journal
Father’s Day Gift
Yesterday, Daddy had to leave the house for a bit. Outside it was POURING, POURING and POURING (something that literally hasn’t happened in forever!). It was a perfect rainy inside day to begin working on our Daddy & Me Journals. Oh my gosh the kiddos were thrilled! They worked for over an our and kept exclaiming, “Daddy is going to looooove this! I wish we could give it to him today!” Suddenly, Daddy drove in the driveway and we had to frantically put everything away. When he walked in the front door we all giggled. He knew something was up but has no idea!
Last fall, the kiddos and I made Mommy & Me Journals. We totally love them! It didn’t take me long to come up with the brainstorm of making Daddy & Me Journals for Father’s Day. I kept my eyes out for journals and found SMASH journals on clearance at TJMaxx. Any journal, spiral or sketch pad will work. I like the Kraft paper type cover because they are easy on which to draw.
- plain journal or spiral
- art supplies of choice
- outline of Daddy’s hands
- I traced Daddy’s hands and told him he couldn’t ask any questions!
Step 1: Trace and Cut Out Template of Daddy’s Hands
Step 2: Plan a Design on Paper
- I let each of the children create their own design.
- The one requirement was that the design must included their hand and Daddy’s hand.
- This step is extremely important. Both of the kiddos did a few doodlee designs before they began working on the actual journal cover.
Step 3: Trace Daddy & Kiddo’s Hands
Step 4: Outline Hands in Marker & Embellish Design
Step 5: Add Introduction Note to First Page of Journal
- FREE printable: Daddy & Me Introduction Note
Step 6: Write I Love You When . . . Father’s Day Poem
- Read aloud I Love You When . . . by Annie Baker
- Brainstorm all of the things we love about Daddy.
- Both of the kiddos wanted to add funny bits into their poem.
Step 7: Add I Love You When . . . Poem to Second Page of Journal
- Each of the kiddos added their poem to their own journals.
- Since Daddy suddenly interrupted our project time, the kiddos want to add a few more decorations to their poems.
- We’ve got plenty of time before the big day.
Daddy & Me Father’s Day Journals
MacGyver, age 10 and Miss Enigma, age 7
Step 8: Surprise Daddy on Father’s Day!
- My kiddos are overjoyed with their journal gifts.
- “I know Daddy will looooove these! I just can’t wait to give it to him!!!”
- It is so sweet to witness their love and admiration for their Daddy.
- Let me have a minute to wipe a little sweetness tear from my eye.
- Also sharing our All About My Daddy Father’s Day Gift Idea
- FREE printable: All About My Daddy Template for framing or book making.
- Templates full size and 5 x 7 version.
- The answers your kiddos come up with will really make you laugh! Very sweet!
We’re GIVING AWAY one copy of I Love You When . . . by Annie Baker
To enter this contest, use the Rafflecopter to answer the following question. After you leave a comment, you can move ahead with more entries.
Answer the following question in the comments section of this post.
Any Father’s Day gifts in the works? Any brainstorms floating around? (Or just say “Hey.” We’re flexible around here.)
No entries after 11:59 pm Central Time, Sunday, June 8, 2014
The winner must be a resident of The United States.
The winner will be selected at random and announced Monday, June 9, 2014. Check back to claim your prize. It might be you!
sharing this week at: