Week at a Glance:
- Geography Book of the Week GIVEAWAY: A Child’s Introduction to The World by Heather Alexander
- Geography Theme Study Introduction
- Physical Geography – The Solar System, The Earth, Maps, Globes, Seasons, Landforms, Biomes
- Geography Book Recommendations
- FREE printables
- Geography Website Recommendations
Geography Books for Kids GIVEAWAY: A Child’s Introduction to The World by Heather Alexander
Why we love this book:
Last year, I began sharing our year long Geography Study. We used A Child’s Introduction to The World by Heather Alexander as a basic weekly syllabus. We spent a week or two on each section of the book and supplemented each topic of learning with additional reading and hands-on activities. This posts will share links to all 11 Geography Units we completed from the first section of the book. Each of these units focus on Physical Geography and Mapping. Next, week I will move onto Part Two of the book which transitions into learning about The Continents, Countries and Cultures of our world. All of these posts include lessons, activities, FREE printables, book recommendations and website links.
Part One: Where Am I?
The book is divided into two sections. The first section is a basic introduction to geography, the earth, landforms and map skills. Children become acquainted with the beginning of the earth and its place in our solar system. Additionally, children get to know the earth both inside and out, from its crust to its highest mountain.
Part Two: Welcome to the World
In this section of the book, the children travel from continent to continent learning about political borders, landforms, cultures and customs. The travels around the world begin with The United States of America. The United States is nicely divided into Eastern, Central and Western States. From there each continent is broken down into smaller countries and cultural areas. Overall a good overview to our world .
- Activity 1: What is Geography? – Create a Geography Notebook and Cover
- Activity 2: Animal Habitats Around the World – Animal Habitats Resist Art
- Activity 3 – Animal Habitats Around the World: Animal Oil Pastel Resist Art
- Activity 1 – What is a Galaxy Splatter Paint Mixed Media
- Activity 2 – The Solar System Mixed Media Project
- Activity 3 – Earth The Blue Planet Collage
- 10 Activities for Teaching Day & Night
- Activity – How Plate Tectonics Works
- Activity – Getting to know our culture and world through music.
Week 10 – Geography Unit 5: Latitude and Longitude
- Activity – Latitude and Longitude Scavenger Hunt
Week 11 – Geography Unit 6: The Reason for the Seasons
- Activity – The Orange, Flashlight and Tilted Axis Hands-On Experience
Week 12 – Geography Unit 7: Teaching Kids How to Read a Map
- Activity: Draw Your Room to Scale
Week 13 – Geography Unit 8: Landforms from A to Z
- Activity: Landforms Book Project
- Landforms Dictionary FREE printable
- Activity: Biome Terrarium Project
- How to Make a Terrarium
- Making a Family Tree Geography Project
- The Travel Game and Story Telling
Geography Book of the Week GIVEAWAY:
A Child’s Introduction to The World by Heather Alexander
To enter this contest, use the Rafflecopter to answer the following question. After you leave a comment, you can move ahead with more entries.
Answer the following question in the comments section of this post.
Where do you plan to travel this year? It might be just a few miles down the road or the other side of the world. Getting out to see our wonderful world is always an amazing experience. Okay, most of the time it is amazing. (Or just say “Hey.” We’re flexible around here.)
No entries after 11:59 pm Central Time, Sunday, February 22, 2015
The winner must be a resident of The United States.
Sharing this week at: