Week at a Glance:
- Book of the Week GIVEAWAY: The Scrambled States of America by Laurie Keller
- Scrambled States of America Game
- A Child’s Introduction to the World: The United States of America
- Making a United States of America Book
- States: State Capital, State Bird, State Flower
- FREE printable map
- FREE printable resources
Book of the Week GIVEAWAY: The Scrambled States of America by Laurie Keller
Why we love this book: My children are craaaaaaaaaazy about this book! We checked it out from our local library and the kiddos were immediately hooked. Yes, hooked on a book that teaches them about the 50 States! And now we have our own copy. This book is silly and quirky and written for children! It is packed with information and can be read again and again. Everyone needs this book in their home and classroom library. It is very rare to find a book that actually teaches while being fun for the children. (Shhhh! Don’t tell them they are learning!)
Getting to Know the United States of America
Geography for Kids
The Scrambled States of America Game
An excellent follow-up to the book is The Scrambled States of America Game. Do not underestimate this little memory game. I never thought such a simple game could be so much fun and teach children so many basic facts about the 50 states.
- You do not need to read the book first; however, the book is an excellent introduction to the states and sets the stage for the game.
- Children need to have at least beginning reading skills.
- This game makes a wonderful gift.
A Child’s Introduction to the World by Heather Alexander
- We used A Child’s Introduction to the World as a Weekly Syllabus
- Part 2: Welcome to the World
- North America
- The United States of America
- Eastern United States, Central United States, Western United States
FREE printable United States Book
- I found two excellent United States resources and the children combined them to make personal United States Books.
- FREE printable United States Book from Relentlessly Fun, Deceptively Educational
- FREE printable State Cards from Step into 2nd grade with Mrs. Lemons
FREE printable United States Map
- As we traveled from State to State the kids colored their U.S. map and the corresponding State Name Card.
- Next week, I will highlight the fun Race Across the States game we adapted from Relentlessly Fun, Deceptively Educational
- FREE printable United States Map from Coloring Castle
- FREE printable State Name Cards from Relentlessly Fun, Deceptively Educational
FREE printable States & Capitals
- As we created our United States Books, MacGyver learned the capitals of each State and added them to his book as well.
- Worksheet Works has customizable States & Capitals practice sheets.
- Worksheet Works also has customizable States & Capitals crossword puzzles.
- FREE printable States & Capitals from Worksheet Works
We’re GIVING AWAY one copy of The United States of America by Laurie Keller
To enter this contest, use the Rafflecopter to answer the following question. After you leave a comment, you can move ahead with more entries. Answer the following question in the comments section of this post. Start counting, how many States have you visited? (Or just say “Hey.” We’re flexible around here.) The Rules: No entries after 11:59 pm Central Time, Sunday, March 15, 2015 The winner must be a resident of The United States. The winner will be selected at random and announced Monday, March 16, 2015. Check back to claim your prize. It might be you! a Rafflecopter giveawaySharing this week at: Mama Smiles