We’ve been on our own Beachfront Bargain Hunt for about 10 years now. While vacationing along the Alabama – Florida Gulf Coast for 20 years, we began dreaming of our own Beachfront Bargain. At first it was really just a dream and slowly, within the last few years, our dream became a bit more serious. Our real life DIY Beach Flip and our history with Gulf Shores, Alabama has really peeked my interest in the HGTV Series Beach Flip.
Before moving a long to our own Beach Cottage Guest bedroom, I thought I would share two of our favorites in Gulf Shores, Alabama.
Souvenir City Gulf Shores
This week, the behind the scenes video of HGTV Beach Flip highlighted judges David Bromstad, Nicole Curtis and Josh Temple wondering the aisles of Souvenir City in Gulf Shores, Alabama. Oh my, been there done that! Too many times to count!!! My kiddos love this joint. What’s not to love? You start by walking through a gigantic shark mouth. Once inside you can find all shapes and forms of beach souvenirs. Is most of it junk? Of course it is. But junky beach treasures are just part of the Gulf Coast beach experience. So walk right through those shark teeth to claim your beach treasure. I guarantee you’ll find something (or at least your kids will)!
Sea-N-Suds Beachfront Restaurant
Sea-N-Suds is pretty much our most favorite restaurant in the world. Yes, you read right! Sea-N-Suds is located right on the sugar white sands of Gulf Shores, Alabama. I challenge you to find a better shrimp sandwich. This is an important detail . . . it is a piled high shrimp sandwich not a shrimp po’boy. The sesame seed bun is soft and delightful and is perfectly balanced with shrimp and tangy-sweet tarter sauce. Paired with a side of hushpuppies, I am in beach bum heaven.
But wait there’s more! Yes, more than the deck that hangs over the sugar white sand and glorious Gulf Coast waves. Yes, more than the toasty shrimp sandwich and hushpuppies. Then there is the SEAFOOD GUMBO. The best, the best, the best gumbo ever! We always enjoy a bowl right there on the deck and then we get a pint to go and take it back to the condo to enjoy later. They’ll even give you a cup for free if you print the coupon before you head in for lunch or dinner.
If you’re looking for fancy, keep moving. When we come to Sea-N-Suds it feels like we’re coming home. Just simple food, amazing beachfront location, no frills and years and years of family memories! Sea-N-Suds is it’s own little beachfront bargain when it comes to tourist destination dining.
Now that I’m totally craving a shrimp sandwich and gumbo . . . time to get busy renovating our beachfront bargain guest bedroom #1.
Welcome Back to Our Real Life Beach Flip on a Budget
DIY Beach Cottage Kids Room
Before & After . . .
Guest Bedroom Before Photo
- Welcome to the Beach
- What this guest room doesn’t remind you of the beach?
Guest Bedroom Before Photo
- Maybe the wicker says “beach” to you?
- That’s it, that’s everything in the room (and a TV).
After Photo Kids Room
- The kids room is where we went all out beach décor.
- I let our kiddos pick many of the décor items in their beach room.
- When at the beach, the kids love spending long days fishing with Daddy.
- Hence the fish and boat theme.
After Photo Kids Room
- We went with twin beds in the kids room because; well, kids do not like to share a bed with their siblings. A reality of life!
- The headboards were a DIY project.
- I purchased the set of shutters for $30.00 at a local antique shop.
- I first freshened them up with white paint and then a I did the reverse and stressed them a bit with sand paper. I wanted them to look like they’ve lived a life at the beach.
Kids Room Shopping Guide ($1000.00)
- The room theme began with the children picking a set of four Antique Fish Prints from Gnosis Picture Archive on Etsy.
- RANARP Wall/clamp spotlights from IKEA.
- Bedding, Décor and Art from West Elm, Hobby Lobby, TJMaxx, Tuesday Morning
- Fine Hotel Linens from The Distinguished Guest.
- Antique chest of drawers from De’France Antiques in Fort Walton Beach.
- Liberty Angel Fish Cabinet Hardware Knobs Seaside Cottage from amazon.
- Baskets of ocean books, movies, building toys and games for our guests.
One of a Kind Treasures
- I know, only a face a mother could love. Early on in my hunt for beach furnishings, I ran across this rough sailboat rudder at De’France Antiques. Day after day, I returned to De’France purchasing furniture and treasures for our beach cottage transformation. And day after day, this junky sailboat rudder begged me to take him home. Finally, on the our last day, I grabbed him and gave him a new home in the kids room. I love him and wonder what nautical adventures he lived in his previous life.
- And I repeat from previous Beach Flip posts, De’France is my new favorite treasure shopping spot.
Our Real Life Beach Flip Series
- Beach Cottage Renovation on a Budget
- Real Life Beach Flip on a Budge: The Master Bedroom
- DIY Beach Bargain Kitchen Refresh on a Budget
Be Our Guest at The Island Princess 215
For more information and photos about our vacation home visit our listing on VRBO.com#673339.
This emerald water is what first lured us to Okaloosa Island. And it is why we just can’t stay away!