6 Lessons Children Learn from Cooking

September 27, 2010

Post image for 6 Lessons Children Learn from Cooking

1. How to cook. I know that sounds like a ridiculous No. 1 but I know many people who proclaim, “I don’t know how to cook.” The only way children will learn their way around the kitchen is by getting their hands dirty cooking in the kitchen.

They learn kitchen safety, how to use kitchen appliances, what different kitchen gadgets are used for and what spices and flavors go together.

2. How to read in a real-life context. As adults, most of our reading happens on the go, out in the real-world. Many of us don’t have the luxury of sitting around reading for pleasure all day. However, we do read throughout the day, everyday, regardless of our occupation. Reading a recipe gives children the opportunity to apply their reading skills in a real-world context.

3. How to read and follow directions. This may seem pretty self-explanatory but how many of you have messed-up a recipe because you didn’t follow the directions correctly.

4. How to apply math skills: Again, this may seem obvious but measuring, adding fractions and doubling recipes is essential to cooking. I started cooking independently around age 8. I remember getting up early one Saturday morning and baking up a batch of strawberry muffins from scratch as a surprise for my parents. They were terrible because I measured the oil incorrectly. My parents graciously ate them. Then I went back and read the directions and realized I had measured incorrectly. I learned I had to be more accurate in the future.

5. How to try new and different foods. I’ve done a lot of gardening and cooking with children. They are always more likely to try things that they have grown or cooked.

6. How to eat healthy. Let’s face the facts. Fast food and processed foods from a box aren’t good for us. Growing-up, my mother was a health nut. While I didn’t always like her health nut ways it really did impact my pallet as an adult. I’m not a “nut” like her; however, I don’t like fast food much and I don’t crave junk foods. That doesn’t mean I don’t eat fast food or enjoy a big bag of chips and dip. But in my day to day life, I really do crave meals made from scratch.

So there you have it. That is why cooking is part of our homeschool curriculum. Bon Appetit kid style!

FREE Printable Recipe Guides for Children:

Turkey Sandwiches

Personal Pizzas

Bean & Cheese Quesadillas

Easy Cheesy Spinach Quesadillas

Join us next week, the kids are cooking up Devilishly Delicious and Easy Pumpkin Muffins

We’re linking-up and playing around the world at Childhood 101: We Play

Photobucket

kelli September 27, 2010 at 8:33 pm

I agree with you wholeheartedly. We have cooking on a monday as part of our home ed schedule,.

Little Wonders' Days September 27, 2010 at 9:18 pm

Very nice post. I love cooking with my kids, even my little ones. Thanks for the printables too.

amandab September 27, 2010 at 10:04 pm

Whenever I am baking I trry to get Princess involved, and she has started stirring the sauce and adding ingredients to the pan when making pastas. Using the stove together has been a big step for us because I am a worrier and perhaps a little overly cautious, but Princess is loving being able to do a bit more in the kitchen :)

Deb September 27, 2010 at 11:54 pm

I agree wholeheartedly! My son is my kitchen buddy, and even though it took me a while to be accepting of his “help,” the time together makes our relationship even sweeter.

Lauren September 28, 2010 at 1:19 am

Very inspiring. Thanks for sharing!

Miss Carly September 28, 2010 at 2:41 am

I love to cook with children, a lot of teachers cringe at the thought of all those dirty hands and they better not touch this or that.

With Kindergarten we have been writing recipes. So I might have to head to the site you said for the recipe printables. You can never have enough examples!

Amy September 28, 2010 at 7:55 am

That’s wonderful!! I love cooking with my kids and I love the smiley on the pizza!! Following you from the Hip Homeschool Blog Hop!

Natalie September 29, 2010 at 4:22 pm

Great post! I didn’t learn to cook as a child, and I want to make sure that my daughter will have her chances. Thanks for the printables!

Liz September 29, 2010 at 9:43 pm

Hi Joyce!

Thanks for stopping by LTMS and saying hi! I love “You Are My Sunshine” and so do my kids. When I softly whisper/sing it to them I nearly cry every time. Such a great song!

I love your site! Can’t wait to read more.

Liz
Loving This Mom Stuff

Kendra/The Queen of Brussels Sprouts October 1, 2010 at 3:13 pm

AMEN!

What a fun post. That is what my “kitchen school” is all about. We homeschool in the kitchen ALL THE TIME, and my kids love it.

Christie - Childhood 101 October 4, 2010 at 7:47 am

If only you could have seen my toddler dancing around the kitchen on the weekend, hands and face covered in chocolate icing, singing “Mud, glorious mud!!!” We love cooking together.

Anne October 5, 2010 at 5:50 pm

Love involving my son in cooking whenever I can. He loves to don the apron and chef’s hat!