I’m Living a Never Ending HGTV Episode

January 20, 2011

Post image for I’m Living a Never Ending HGTV Episode

Welcome to our home! Just look for the house with the magenta door.

A little over two years ago we moved into a home built in 1952. Here is MacGyver breaking in the backyard on move-in day.

It has some hardwood floors and an enormous back yard. That’s about where the charm ends. But in the words of design diva, Candice Olson, we thought the house had “good-bones”. Whatever the heck that means, that woman can see the good in any home. In our world it means tearing down walls, gutting rooms and adding on much needed square footage. But since we prefer sticking to a DIY budget and I apparently have unusual design ideas that professionals don’t seem to “get”, we are living through a slow work-in-progress saga. Maybe Nate Berkus and Oprah will take pity on us and surprise me with a makeover. On second thought, my house is a perpetual disaster and my hair is always in a messy ponytail so a surprise knock at the door from the Oprah show cameras would be a nightmare.

Did you ever see that movie Groundhog Day where Bill Murray keeps living the same day over and over again? Okay this isn’t exactly Groundhog Day, but yet it feels like I’m living a never ending HGTV episode. Day after day we are slowly renovating our home, moving from room to room. And sadly since Candice Olson or Nate Berkus haven’t paid us a visit, it is now time for us to call-in a professional for the add-on of a master bedroom and bath. Yesterday, our contractor took the first step towards adding-on our new master bedroom. WHOO HOO!

Homeschool journal entry following home renovation process. MacGyver, age 7.

Just to be clear. No, we did not select the front door color and the matching magenta shutters. Man of steel hates the magenta color. Can you blame him? So one Sunday afternoon he ripped down the shutters. He didn’t even give me a chance to snap a photo. We have selected new masculine colors for the house and plan to replace the front door. I only have one concern about the day we actually get around to making these changes. How will people know which house is ours? Now I just say, “Look for the house with the magenta door. You can’t miss it!”

Joyce says I’m actually living that HGTV show called Sarah’s House. Over the next few months, I’ll share my never ending, real-life HGTV episode. Wish me luck. We’re trying to live (and homeschool) smack dab in the middle of this home renovation with two young children. Life is an adventure! (AND IT’S CRAZY!)

What home projects are you working-on? Have you ever done a big home renovation? What advice do you have?

The Homeschool Village

Cheryl January 20, 2011 at 3:00 pm

I love pictures and hope to see more before-and-after. I enjoy home renovations, but it looks like you have quite the project left ahead. But you are right … it’s an adventure!

~Stopping by from The HomeSchool Village~

Deb January 20, 2011 at 3:37 pm

I could talk about remodeling all day! My dad was a remodeling contractor and I grew up going to work with him, eventually going into civil engineering. I am a chronic do-it-yourself-er, and have changed virtually everything about our house – floor coverings, paint, even down to the doorknobs and switch plate covers. I always say remodeling is like pulling at a loose thread on a sweater….it goes on and on and on. My husband is my long-suffering assistant, but has made several announcements that he never wants to buy a fixer again. It must be in my blood though, because my son CANNOT get enough of construction. I have been known to hit the Starbucks drive thru, then drive around looking for a construction site for him to watch. Anyone who works on our house has to accept that they will have a little shadow. It’s funny.

Soon you will have a brand new room! How exciting, I can’t wait to read all about it!

maryanne January 20, 2011 at 3:42 pm

I can completely empathize with this!!! Our house looks a lot like yours, but it was built in 1962. Not that the extra ten years prevented the entire heating system from dying to the point of not being reparable! We also lived without a kitchen for two months (but with such wonderful results!!!), and replaced our two most drafty windows, plus the (very drafty) front door! The drafty back door is just taped shut =)

So we’re learning a lot about DIY, and paying out for professional help where we can’t do it ourselves (at least not with three little ones underfoot!) Still dreaming of the day when we’ll add on square footage… But do you know what’s funny? I visited a VERY fancy huge new house with wood floors throughout a couple weeks ago, and I love mine more, even with its funky tan plus small sunken and therefore impossible to clean black tile floor… Like you, our house has a gorgeous yard, and we love the neighborhood – and that’s worth magenta doors (and those you have to tape shut) =)

Jennifer January 20, 2011 at 4:47 pm

Wow! I hope the renovations and homeschooling go well!

~Jennifer

Jeannine January 20, 2011 at 5:19 pm

We loooooove our neighborhood! We also love the mix of neighbors who have lived here for 40 years and all of the new young families moving into our neighborhood. We much prefer these older neighborhoods.

Jeannine January 20, 2011 at 8:53 pm

I can’t wait to live through it!

I Live in an Antbed January 20, 2011 at 9:15 pm

Oh bless your heart!!! I have been there! Our complete remodel took us about 7 YEARS!!! EEEEEKKKK! I am so thankful we did it, but as far as more remodeling, I have told my husband it can stay this way until I die and they can just bury me in the backyard. :) Hang in there. It is worth it when you finally get it finished. And I’m sure it won’t take you nearly as long as it took us.

Maegan January 20, 2011 at 10:04 pm

Good Luck! We just moved into our new house and we will never build again. I think after we have lived here for 50 years we might get all the projects done. =)

Susan Evans January 21, 2011 at 4:42 pm

I love how you tied in the homeschool assignment to the renovations! We had our back deck redone last year, and it was so nice not to do it ourselves.

Anissa January 21, 2011 at 8:32 pm

Neverending remodeling – EVERY room has an on-going project. Incidentally, we did just replace our front door. Craigslist beautiful deal and beautiful door! It is amazing what a difference a new door makes on the look of our house. Inside is still a major work in progress though!

Jeannine January 22, 2011 at 8:06 am

So fun to hear about everyone remodeling and living to tell about it! There’s just something special about these old homes.

Jarrid Dietert January 28, 2011 at 2:36 pm

Where are the kitchen pictures? We worked hard on that. Plus people need to see how beautiful it was before we messed it up. haha

Jeannine January 28, 2011 at 7:15 pm

Jarrid, the kitchen pictures are coming! Did you like the yellow kitchen better? I like your cabinets much better!