Book of the Week GIVEAWAY: Swimmy by Leo Lionni
Why we love this book:
Can you believe it? Summer is just around the corner! We’re looking forward to the sun, sand and water with much anticipation! There’s just none better than Swimmy to take us on a tour through the deep wet world of the ocean. This Caldecott Honor Book is best known for it’s story of the little fish that uses his ingenuity to teach his new companions how to work together to camouflage themselves from the fierce tunas. An important lesson that combines the message of being yourself and also working together to solve a problem.
The language and illustrations in Swimmy are exquisite. Where else can you find a watery print world with “a forest of seaweeds growing from sugar-candy rocks . . . and sea anemones, who looked like pink palm trees swaying in the wind.”
I’m accustomed to seeing classes of children make a giant wall mural of little red fish with Swimmy standing alone as the eye. As an alternative, I like giving children many materials to explore, paint and stamp, creating their own watery world. Taking descriptive writing tips from Leo Lionni, older children can write their own descriptive sentences for their ocean illustrations.
Going to the Beach Theme Study
This week we’re sharing just a few of our favorite ocean books, activities and links. Ready for the beach? Here we go . . .
literacy development: Writing a Song Adaptation Going to the Beach
- At the Beach by Anne & by Harlow Rockwell
- Senses at the Seashore by Shelley Rotner
FREE printable book: I’m Ready for the Beach
- I’m Ready for the Beach is a FREE printable book that you can use for guided reading.
- It follows a similar pattern as the song adaptation: Going to the Beach.
literacy development: Writing a Song Adaptation 10 Little Fish
read aloud: 10 Little Fish by Audrey Wood & Bruce Wood
- We invite children during “circle time” to use their finished collage fish to act out the book Ten Little Fish and also the song adaptation Ten Little Fish.
FREE printable book: I Went to the Beach
- I Went to the Beach is a FREE printable book that you can use for guided reading.
- This little book features real photos of some of the amazing sea creatures we found during our beach vacation.
We’ll be back this week with affordable family beach getaways for those of you who are ready for a little sand, surf and sun of your own!
Life with Joyce & Jeannine
We’re GIVING AWAY one copy of Swimmy by Leo Lionni.
To enter this contest, just answer the following question in the comments section of this post.
So, are you ready for summer vacation and maybe a little sand, surf and sun?! (Or just say “Hey.” We’re flexible around here.)
One entry per person, please.
No entries after 8:00 pm Central Time, Thursday, May 17, 2012
The winner must be a resident of The United States.
The winner will be selected at random and announced Friday, May 18, 2012. Check back to claim your prize. It might be you!
Sharing this week at: