Book of the Week: Let It Fall by Maryann Cocca – Leffler
Why we love this book:
Fall is on its way. “Mounds of color, raked up high – Jump right in and watch the sky.” Time for raking leaves, a chilly gusty breeze, apple picking, mountain air and the County Fair. The soft water color art introduces the changing color of the leaves and children enjoying outdoor scenes.
Grab your water colors and join the children as they paint their way into fall . . .
Fall Water Color Art
(FREE printable book at the end of this post.)
- Fall books
- water color paints
- paint brushes
- leaves of different shapes and sizes
- card stock or water color paper
Step 1: Read Aloud Fall Books
- We read Let It Fall our Book of the Week GIVEAWAY
- We also viewed the gorgeous leaf colors from our post: A Day Trip to the Lost Maples of Texas
Step 2: Draw Leaves
- the children studied the leaves
- we discussed symmetry
- first they drew a line down the middle
- next, they drew each side of the leaf
- Miss Enigma had difficulty drawing and began tracing her leaves.
Step 3: Paint Leaves Fall Colors
- the children mixed shades of yellow, orange, red and brown to create their fall leaf colors
fall water color leaves, Miss Enigma, age 5
Step 4: Paint Blue Background Around Leaves
- we took our artistic inspiration from the water color paintings in Let It Fall
fall water color leaves, MacGyver, age 9
The Following Reading and Math Lesson was done one week after our fall water color lesson.
I See Fall Leaves
(FREE printable book at end of post)
Step One: Draw Leaves For Each Page
- Miss Enigma studied a very simple leaf.
- I once again, showed her how to draw a line and then draw each side of the leaf.
- Miss Enigma drew her leaves with a black Sharpie marker.
Step 2: Paint Leaves with Fall Colors
- She only painted 4 pages the first day.
- Miss Engima wanted to paint ALL of the pages, but I thought 4 was plenty for one day!
Miss Enigma, “This is my favorite! I love how I did the red, orange and yellow colors.”
Print this book FREE: I See Fall Leaves
Life with Jeannine
We’re GIVING AWAY one copy of Let it Fall by Maryann Cocca – Leffler.
To enter this contest, just answer the following question in the comments section of this post.
What is your favorite thing about fall? (Or just say “Hey.” We’re flexible around here.)
One entry per person, please.
No entries after 8:00 pm Central Time, Thursday, September 27, 2012
The winner must be a resident of The United States.
The winner will be selected at random and announced Friday, September 28, 2012. Check back to claim your prize. It might be you!
Sharing this week at: