Book of the Week GIVEAWAY: Under My Hood I Have a Hat by Karla Kuskin
Why we love this book:
We’ve started a tradition here at waddlee-ah-chaa, every January we GIVE AWAY this sweet winter book. The text is a simple rhyming chant, taking children through the steps of getting dressed for snowy, winter weather. Children love the sing-song pattern, the colorful pictures and the main character. However, the girl’s little dog, who helps her get dressed and sips tea, is the real show stealer in this book. The children just love that little dog. Under My Hood I Have a Hat opens the door to many winter weather learning activities.
In addition to this week’s Book GIVEAWAY, we also have a FREE printable mittens book and letter activities . . .
Where is My Mitten?
Step One: We began by reading books about Mittens, Gloves, Hats, Boots . . .
- Under My Hood I have a Hat by Karla Kuskin
- The Mitten by Jan Brett
- The Snowy Day by Ezra Jack Keats
Step 2: Next, Miss Enigma and I read the pages and she followed the directions to color the pages.
- Print this book FREE: Where is My Mitten?
- Miss Enigma is learning the letter Mm
- Miss Enigma is learning the core words: my, this, is, no
- The book focuses on color words.
- The book focuses on following directions on each page.
- The directions on each page increase in difficulty.
- The last page allows children to be creative and color the mittens any color and design.
Step 3: Letter and Word Work
- I created simple printables for Miss Enigma to practice the letters Mm and Hh and the core word my.
- Miss Enigma used letter stamps to stamp the letter Mm on the mittens page and the letter Hh on the hat page.
- She also practiced writing the words.
Print this FREE Activity Page: My Mittens
Print this FREE Activity Page: My Hat
We’re GIVING AWAY one hardcover copy of Under My Hood I Have a Hat by Karla Kuskin
To enter this contest, use the Rafflecopter to answer the following question. After you leave a comment, you can move ahead with more entries.
Do you love bundling up for winter? As for me, I like summer all year long! South Texas come pretty darn close! (Or just say “Hey.” We’re flexible around here.)
One entry per person, please.
No entries after 8:00 pm Central Time, Thursday, January 17, 2013
The winner must be a resident of The United States.
Sharing this week at: