It’s a dreary, rainy day today. My kiddos usually spend their afternoons playing in our big backyard. Luckily, Grandma gave Miss Enigma a Discovery Kids Build and Play Construction Fort Set for Christmas. Excellent indoor activity for dreary winter days.
The box features several designs to spark the children’s architecture creativity. Add a sheet and you take the construction fort to a whole new level. Miss Enigma is big into making tents, stringing sheets from bed to bed and chair to chair. These construction pieces are perfect for her tent building. Ask our dogs. They have spent many hours snuggling with Miss Enigma inside her tents.
The 77 construction pieces come with sticks and connectors.
Here’s where it gets complicated . . . the sticks connect to the connectors.
Wait that’s actually really easy. So simple a child can do it! Just give it a little muscle.
A plan for a ship design is being hatched.
“You sit in the Captain’s Chair. Let me see how tall the ship needs to be.”
“A few more snaps and we’re ready to cast off into the deep blue sea.”
Monday the children used the Build and Play pieces to construct a puppet theater.
Absolutely perfect stage for their Five Little Ducks puppet show!
Review of the Build and Play Construction Fort
- sparks creativity and problem solving
- develops spatial reasoning
- requires patience and cooperation
- introduces basics of geometry and structures
- extremely versatile
- gender neutral
- even better with snacks under the sheet
Things to Consider
- recommended 5+, however, younger children will need adult help
- this is a learning toy, some children may need help designing sturdy structures
- these are not permanent tents, they will fall down if children do not play carefully
- If you have a kid like MacGyver, he’ll want more pieces!
As I type, the kiddos are busy building an airplane. Perhaps I’ll have update photos tomorrow . . .
Life with Jeannine
What do your kiddos do on dreary, rainy days?