I’m once again highlighting one of our favorite plant nurseries: The Natural Garden located in Austin, Texas. The Natural Gardener is one of the most innovative garden centers I have seen. Every trip promises a of day a natural beauty.
Each time we visit I find myself in awe and inspired to get busy gardening! The first time we took a day trip to The Natural Gardener, I was determined to build my own backyard Square Foot Gardens. Look at my backyard now! Ha! This is a photo from our first visit to The Natural Gardener. Doesn’t it make you want to get dirt under your fingernails?
On our recent trip, I snapped some more inspiring Square Foot Garden Design Ideas . . .
Square Foot Garden Grid
- the square foot garden is 4′ x 4′
- it is divided into a grid for 16 small plants or 8 large plants
- this is the hard part about gardening, in the beginning it looks so sparse
Square Foot Garden Greens and Flower Mix
- edible beauty
- the seed packets are laminated and displayed on sticks
Rectangle Square Foot Garden Design
- the rectangle garden is 6′ x 3′
- greens, strawberries and flowers mix
Triangle Square Foot Garden Design
- each board is 4′
- beautiful edible yellow, red and green swiss chard
- pine needle path between each square foot garden
Covered Square Foot Garden
- rebar frame covered in chicken wire and fabric tarp
- tender spring veggies get a head start in this protected structure
Supported Square Foot Garden
- above rebar frame structure uncovered
- tall lanky plants can use the extra support
Protected Square Foot Garden
- keep the deer and other critters out of the garden
- and it’s darn cute
- This is the one I need need! Look out deer, you shall be banned!
Vine Structures for the Square Foot Garden
- bamboo, metal stakes, and folded fencing wire sheet
- supplies, step-by-step directions with pictures
- recipe and directions for mixing recommended Square Foot Garden soil
- photo journal of square foot garden designed, built and planted by children
Happy Gardening! Time for me to get a little dirt under my fingernails!
Have you tried Square Foot Gardening? What is your favorite gardening tip?
Life with Jeannine
I also have a FREE printable book from our trip to The Natural Gardner that fits in nicely with a Plant Theme Study or a Color Unit.