When it comes to birthdays, I try to get as much input as possible from my kiddos. But my middle name is low-maintenance so you won’t find any fussy Birthday Party ideas around here! I like to keep things simple. Thankfully, several years ago MacGyver began a tradition of celebrating his birthday at Aunt Joyce’s river. I bring a big pile of water toys to the river and the kiddos have a day of fun playing in the water, catching creepy critters, fishing and taking turns in the kayak.
For his cupcakes this year, MacGyver decided he wanted a fishing theme. So we tried something new for us. We hit pinterest for ideas. After collecting a variety of ideas, MacGyver designed his own fishing cupcakes. The kiddos helped me make them and they were totally easy! I thought these Fishing Cupcakes would also make a great Father’s Day treat for Dad.
2 Ingredient Cupcakes
- Super Moist Chocolate Devil’s Food Cake Mix
- 1 can Solid Pack Pumpkin (not pumpkin pie)
- FREE printable recipe: Devilishly Delicious and Easy Pumpkin Cupcakes
Have you discovered this 2 Ingredient Recipe for Chocolate Cupcakes? Man, oh man it is amazingly simple, moist and yummy! We always use this recipe and everyone raves about the cupcakes.
- 1 can chocolate icing
- chocolate grahams or cookies
- blue bead sprinkles
- Swedish Fish or fish gummies
- wooden skewers
- thread and needle (or ice pick)
Step 1: Prepare the Fishing Pole and Fish
- Plan A: I had embroidery thread and needles with the plan of sewing a line right through each Swedish Fish. Unfortunately, my thread didn’t fit through the embroidery needle. Time to improvise.
- Plan B: We used an ice pick to punch the thread through the fish. It worked like a charm.
- Each line of thread was about 12 inches long, giving us plenty with which to work.
- cut the shish-kabob skewers in half
- tie the the line to the skewers.
- We chilled the fish on the poles in the fridge until party time.
Step 2: Ice Cupcakes and Sprinkle with Dirt
- lightly ice cooled cupcakes
- sprinkle half of each cupcake with crushed chocolate cookies to represent dirt
Step 3: Sprinkle Other Half of the Cupcake with Water
- MacGyver designed the tray so that the outside cupcakes looked like land and the middle cupcakes formed a pond.
Step 4: Add the Fishing Pole and Fish
- That’s it you’re done!
Peace Out! We’ve Gone Fishing!