Savory Bites: Meals You Can Make in Your Cupcake Pan by Hollis Wilder
Here’s the funny thing . . . I don’t cook much with recipes. I try to keep my pantry stocked with some basic, healthy staples. Each night, I open the pantry and fridge and whip something up with what’s on hand. Having said that, I absolutely love reading cookbooks! I curl-up with them like a juicy romance novel and drool over the pages of tasty treats. You can keep Fabio, I rather spice it up in the kitchen.
Here’s the other thing . . . I don’t watch Cupcake Wars. But apparently, Hollis Wilder is the only 3 time winner! I guess that means something. All I know is her Savory Bites perked-up my taste buds.
Every recipe in Savory Bites is made in a cupcake pan. I love that. In fact before I read the book, I thought it was my idea. I’m teaching my kiddos how to cook and cupcake bites work great when cooking with children. The children can help assemble the ingredients into the small bites. It’s like a whole meal in cupcake size portions. And for busy families, cupcake size portions are perfect because they cook more quickly.
Here are some things I like about Savory Bites:
- Hollis begins by sharing quite a variety of wrappers: breads, tortillas, won-ton wrappers, etc.
- Hollis is very specific about what size cupcake pan works with her recipes.
- Hollis gives tips for cooking with children.
- Hollis includes breakfast, lunch and dinner recipes.
- The recipes include many different cuisines for many different tastes.
- You can bake ahead and reheat.
- You might also get some new ideas for inspiring leftovers!
- Pictures, pictures, pictures. I like cookbooks with delicious pictures.
- Again, I don’t cook much by recipes. However, these recipes get the creative juices flowing. You realize almost any recipe can be converted into a savory cupcake recipe.
Some things you might need to tweak:
- Some recipes may be a bit adventurous for picky eaters. Simply, change them up! Keep it simple.
- Some of the recipes are a bit high maintenance for a busy family. Simply, change them up! Keep it simple.
- You might want to trim some of the cheese, fats, processed foods from the recipes. However, these recipes are much healthier than a drive through the fast food window!
Suddenly, someone at my local library has become a foodie! Every week there is a display of new cookbooks. It has been so much fun reading them. Savory Bites has been one of the most family friendly I’ve come across.
So you don’t have little kiddos? Savory Bites is full of fabulous recipe ideas for entertaining. A little savory bite in one hand and a cocktail in the other. Easy entertaining.
Life with Jeannine