Week at a Glance:
- Book of the Week GIVEAWAY: $25.00 Amazon Gift Card!
- The Mayflower Oil Pastel Resist Art
- Thanksgiving and The Mayflower Recommended Books for Kids
- Research links
Book of the Week GIVEAWAY: $25.00 Amazon Gift Card!
As we walked into a store last night Miss Engima proclaimed, “What is wrong with these people? Don’t they know it’s Thanksgiving NOT Christmas!” I had to agree with her. I’m one of those old sticks in the mud that doesn’t like the way we commercially skip Thanksgiving and begin our materialistic shopping feast for Christmas in early October. In our home, we are still giving thanks for all the blessings that have been bestowed upon us.
Having said all of that, I am a busy Mom and small business owner that works around the clock during December. I like to be organized and slowly make plans for Christmas. Forget all of that last minute rushing stuff. We try not to over do the gift giving with our children; however, as you know, I am a book giver. Through the years, all of my nieces, nephews and friends have been showered with wonderful children’s literature. So looking ahead, I am giving away an Amazon gift card. If you win, you must promise to purchase books for the children in your life. Just joking . . . but it would make me very jolly to know a child will receive an extra special book this year. In the upcoming weeks, I’ll share some favorite gift book ideas.
Now back to Thanksgiving . . .
The Mayflower for Kids
Oil Pastel Resist Art
- Books about the Pilgrims, The Mayflower and Thanksgiving
- black construction paper
- oil pastels
Mayflower Drawing, Miss Engima, age 8
Step One: Make a Simple Pencil Drawing
- Research the Mayflower and Pilgrims
- MayflowerHistory.com is an interesting resource including a list of Mayflower passengers and their biographies.
- You can also find a cross section of the Mayflower on this page of MayflowerHistory.com.
- The Settlement of America (American History for Children)
- Teaching Children the True Story of Thanksgiving
- Thanksgiving Activities, Art and History for Kids
Step Two: Outline Pencil Drawing with Glue
- put the glue on thick
- let dry
Mayflower Pencil Drawing, MacGyver, age 10
You can see a bit of difference between a first grade and fifth grade approach to the Mayflower art project. MacGyver likes for his art to be quite factual. As a ten-year-old, he did a bit more research and included more details.
Mayflower Oil Pastel, Miss Enigma, age 7
Step Three: Color with Oil Pastels
- Add color within the black lines created by the dried glue.
- Try not to color on top of the glue and the black lines create a unique outline look.
Mayflower Oil Pastel, MacGyver, age 10
Mayflower Oil Pastel Resist Art, Miss Enigma, age 7
Mayflower Oil Pastel Resist Art, MacGyver, age 10
We’re GIVING AWAY one $25.00 Amazon Gift Card
To enter this contest, use the Rafflecopter to answer the following question. After you leave a comment, you can move ahead with more entries.
Answer the following question in the comments section of this post.
What are you most Thankful for this year? (Or just say “Hey.” We’re flexible around here.)
No entries after 11:59 pm Central Time, Sunday, December 6, 2014
The winner must be a resident of The United States.
The winner will be selected at random and announced Monday, December 8, 2014. Check back to claim your prize. It might be you!
sharing this week at: