Okay, this week’s HGTV Beach Flip room project was interesting. The room challenge was to create a Bonus Room / Den / Office / Extra Sleeping Space. Wow, that is a tall order to fill. Especially, in a small beach house sized room. As usual, some of the rooms were really lovely; however, they all seemed like a huge waste of space in a 3 bedroom beachfront home.
We took a different approach when updating our real life 3 bedroom / 3 bathroom Beach Flip. We’ve learned that there are some common amenities most people are looking for in a beach vacation home: lots of beds, lots of bathrooms, a well equipped kitchen and above all an amazing oceanfront view. Not one of our guests have asked us, “Hey, where is the Bonus Room / Den / Office space?”
We own a small business. Consequently, we ALWAYS work when on vacation. But we certainly don’t need an entire “Bonus Room” with a wimpy little desk designated as a workspace. While on vacation, we work at the dinning room table, at the kitchen bar, tucked in bed, lounging on the sofa, out by the pool and best of all relaxing on the beach. Last thing we want to do on vacation is to cram ourselves in a dinky little office space. Even if we’re working, we want to hang with the family and we definitely want to enjoy the gorgeous beachfront view! The ocean is why we are on a beach vacation!
Welcome Back to Our Real Life Beach Flip on a Budget
DIY Beach Cottage Guest Room
Before & After . . .
Guest Bedroom Before Photo
- Bedroom 2 & 3 actually looked almost identical.
- We designated the more central bedroom as the kids beach room and the one more tucked away as the queen guest room.
Guest Bedroom After Photo
- The room is cozy and private with it’s own ensuite.
- Perfect for a couples get away.
Guest Bedroom After Photo
- Our design for our DIY beach condo renovation was a modern beach cottage style.
- I blended more rustic pieces like the distressed bed and wooden paddle with the turquoise glass lamp and gold mirrored table.
- And of course don’t forget to sparkle and RELAX while on vacation.
Guest Bedroom Shopping Guide (Budget $1000)
- Queen Bed and Chest of Drawers from International Furniture Direct
- Bedding, Décor and Art from Hobby Lobby, TJMaxx, Tuesday Morning
- Fine Hotel Linens from The Distinguished Guest
Our Real Life Beach Flip Series
- Beach Cottage Renovation on a Budget
- Real Life Beach Flip on a Budge: The Master Bedroom
- DIY Beach Bargain Kitchen Refresh on a Budget
- Beachfront Bargain Hunt DIY Renovation: Kids Beach Room
Be Our Guest at The Island Princess 215
The best part about our beach guest bedroom are the long walks on the beach at sunset. You can’t end an evening much better than that!
For more information and photos about our vacation home visit our listing on VRBO.com#673339.